Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Olympic Report 2010

At first I was worried about the raunchy conditions, worries that were almost confirmed by the Men's Snowboard event. Then I realized that it was snowboarding, and that with snowboarding it's totally acceptable for Olympic calibur athletes to be flopping around on the course like drunks. Ah, Snowboarding... snObOardNING.... Skiing ...I'll never get it. Actually, this years Olympic coverage has warmed me up to Women's SNBX, were the athleticism seems to be in spades. Skicross didn't impress me either.

So this time around, Body Miller avoids the Beaster and comes through. I like the man, although I get the feeling he's that guy they're trying to represent in those MCDonald's commercials which claim that Olympic athletes are lining up for McNuggets.

The U.S. Women's Ski Team isn't being hurt so much by a supposed popularity contest as it is being hurt by sculpted eyebrows. I'm also not sure I should feel like I'm eavesdropping, in a reality TV kind of way, when a hopeful faces his/ her event standing, so I just leave the room. The microscope is what is stressing out the athletes.

So far I've enjoyed the coverage and events. Too bad the great conditions are in the east this year. I'll expect to find lots of newbies on the slopes in the coming weeks.

No comments: