Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"LOST" episode 100

Since it's tough coming up with regular, inspired writing, and since I wear my geek cred on my sleeve, I figure it's time to begin discussing regularly scheduled programming, such as the bewildering episodic adventure known as "LOST"

Daniel Pictures, Images and Photos

"LOST" celebrated it's milestone 100th episode tonight (SPOILER) by killing off it's most bewildering character, Daniel Faraday. Not to worry, Faraday got a great sendoff with some terrific insight into his history and how he became entangled in the mystery of the island. Add to that the culmination of a seasons worth of subplot (LaFluor/ 70's Dharma Initiative) and "LOST" fans have something to talk about at the water cooler tomorrow. You guys are still doing that, right?

I wasn't one who took to the season four recruits so quickly. These characters are hampered by a surmounting mythology and unresolved plot points concerning established characters the audience has already invested so much time in. Factor in Hollywood realities such as Richard Alpert disappearing to star in "Cane" for a season and "LOST" becomes a disjointed mess. However, starting with the previous Miles-centric episode, these also-ran, johnny come lately characters are starting to become truly fleshed out, often times after their on-screen demise. Now that it's here, I'm not sure I needed Faraday's background any sooner. And that's the magic of "LOST," the thing that keeps new viewers from tuning in while loyal viewers are afraid to quit; the convoluted storytelling. After Locke returned from the grave, is there anyone out there who thinks we've seen the last of Faraday? Even after his mom put a bullet in his chest? I didn't think so.

Eventually, I warmed up to Faraday's antics and spacey mannerisms, to the point were I cheered when he climbed out of the submarine. Not bad considering the guys circumstances within the storytelling structure. I was pretty sure he was a linchpin character, and he might still be, but I can't say how, and so the program continues to live up to it's name. At the very least, Faraday will return in an all-essential clip show episode. Let's face it, it's not called "LOST" because there are survivors stuck on an island; the name of the show is derived from the effect it has on its audience.

In general, I find my enthusiasm for "LOST" has in no way diminished. Sometimes I can't tell what's been said due to crunching chips and salsa, or maybe it's a gripping episode and I've quaffed one too many Iron City pounders and yelled at the tube during an important bit of dialogue. One way or the other, I am not 100% up to date on what's happening at any giving stopping point, but that's cool. The show is so rich in detail that a second viewing (fifteen years from now) is almost necessary. Hopefully, before it's finished it's run, "LOST" will cover the important points while allowing religious viewership the opportunity to savor the program's intricacies. In other words, I hope the show can maintain it's rhythm while the writers sort everything out. After a sagging first half of the season, volume five is shaping up, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

No comments: